Sunday 8 December 2013

Freefalling

As we hurtle towards Christmas I expect most of us are extra busy, tempers fraying, mine over spilled today because I had forgotten to keep an eye on some apples that were meant to be gently cooking.............
All is calm and quiet now at Chez Bluepatch, Home Alone is on telly and I am reflecting upon another sewing week, here, & in class.
As this term has progressed the projects have become just a wee bit meatier so my picture haul has dwindled as projects were not quite completed in class. I have a few though..........this is Maggie's Book Cover which would be a perfect gift for a wee girl (Maggie has three big sons and 3 grandsons!!)
and here is her Term 1 so far...................

The final project of Term 1 is a Block Book, something like mine, below, that was fashioned from an orphan block.

Susan got hers done in class -

and has heaps to show for her Term 1 -

On a personal sewing front, I got another week in the Mystery quilt under my belt - more circles, a recurring theme!! I had to re do the stitching around the top right block as my fussy cut included a sliver of white and when appliqued onto the white background, the circle lost its shape!

I had a lovely package in the post this week. The Stingy Bees are doing a Secret Santa and I got mine from Nicky - she and I share a love of green so she did me proud with some scraps. We all made fabric envelopes but this package held so much more - thanks Nicky,

I managed to finish up one of my FAL 4th quarter projects, an EPP'd Christmas cushion. Today was my deadline as it made its way off with visiting family to be handed over as a Christmas gift.

I used some of my oldest scraps in this project and enjoyed fussy cutting those kitties.

This month's Queen Bee in the Stingy Bee is Janet and she chose a super block called Scrap Jars, perfect for scraps. (funnily enough).  I think these will make a brilliant quilt.

Returning to class things for a moment - I have only one week left before we break up for our holiday and then in the New Year my lovely ladies will be returning to make this bag - The Overnighter!!
I have laboured for many hours in the planning and construction of this baby, and many of the techniques required have been covered this term in the wee projects we have done. (method in my madness!!) And I think I put my holiday fabric to good use!



And finally - a few years ago I bought an old fashioned rose, called Sophie's Perfume, to mark the passing of our beloved puss, Sophie, a cat with attitude. 
Sophie when she was a kitten - 1992

The rose bloomed and smelled divine. I never moved it from its pot as we were destined to move house. This we did back in 2010 and sadly the rose has not thrived, to the point this year that I took a shrivelled root from the pot and instead of chucking it into the compost bin, I thought I would give it one last chance.............as the weeks have gone by I have witnessed the shoots of regrowth and this week - yes this week in December - it is coming into flower.

A rose with attitude.















10 comments:

  1. You've all been very busy little bees! My patience rather ran out on the 3rd gouge by a pin as I wrestled a particularly recalcitrant Aeroplane this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of Stitchy news. Your students have achieved a lot. I am sure that they will like that overnight bag as I know that I do. Nicky did you proud too in the SB swap. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing how everyone's envelope is so different. Need to blog about mine too. You have been very busy Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Christmas is approaching at warp speed. I've managed to stay relatively calm so far, I bet it won't last.
    I'm amazed that the rose is flowering now, that truly is special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Christmas is approaching at warp speed. I've managed to stay relatively calm so far, I bet it won't last.
    I'm amazed that the rose is flowering now, that truly is special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many lovely items! I bet you are a great teacher! I really like you bag! I am glad for the roses survival! I miss my puppy (16) who passed 3 years ago, more always around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very impressive looking bag. And you must be so happy to see your wee rose flowering and well again. juliex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your students are really doing you proud Sheila, can't wait to see their bags!

    Isn't that rose amazing too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lot of lovely things here. I love the large bag, will you share a pattern one day? And the rose is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is one gorgeous bag! The detailing is sublime. Love it!
    ..and those kitties.. cute-as. You have a lovely sense of Humour, Mrs Bluepatch.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...